Ea res est Helvetiis per indicium enuntiata. Moribus suis Orgetoricem ex vinculis causam dicere coegerunt; damnatum poenam sequi oportebat, ut igni cremaretur. Die constitutā causae dictionis Orgetorix ad iudicium omnem suam familiam, ad hominum milia decem, undique coegit, et omnes clientes obaeratosque suos, quorum magnum numerum habebat, eodem conduxit; per eos ne causam diceret se eripuit. Cum civitas ob eam rem incitata armis ius suum exsequi conaretur multitudinemque hominum ex agris magistratus cogerent, Orgetorix mortuus est; neque abest suspicio, ut Helvetii 5
arbitrantur, quin ipse sibi mortem consciverit.
(Caesars's De bello Gallico available online here: ch. 4
1. To what circumstance does ea res refer (line 1)?
the arrival of Caesar
the Helvetians' plan to emigrate
the difficult topography of Helvetia
the nobles' conspiracy to seize power
2. What is the correct translation of Orgetorigem . . .
coegerunt (line 1)?
They forced Orgetorix to say the reason he was in chains.
Orgetorix in chains was said to have gathered an explanation.
They forced Orgetorix to plead his case in chains.
They gathered Orgetorix from the provinces to plead his
3. Identify the grammatical construction ut . . . cremaretur
4. What figure of speech occurs in igni cremaretur (line 2)?
5. Of what does familia consist (line 2)?
everyone in the household
the master's blood relatives
only the slaves
6. Besides familia and clientes, who were the obaerati
gathered by Orgetorix (line 3)?
7. Identify the use of quorum (line 3).
8. According to per . . . eripuit, what happened (line 4)?
Orgetorix's people stormed his trial.
His people enabled Orgetorix to escape.
Orgetorix stated his reasons to his people.
Orgetorix fled when his people turned against him.
9. What happened then according to Cum . . . cogerent
Mob rule threatened to erupt in support of Orgetorix.
The magistrates declared martial law to regain control.
The authorities put together a posse to capture Orgetorix.
Riots broke out across the state.
10. What did the Helvetians suspect according to ipse . . .
consciverit (line 6)?
Someone had murdered Orgetorix himself.
Orgetorix had taken his own life.
Orgetorix had murdered the magistrates.
Orgetorix had realized that he would be killed.