itemque [Orgetorix] Dumnorigi Haeduo, fratri Diviciaci, qui eo tempore principatum in civitate obtinebat ac maxime plebi acceptus erat, ut idem conaretur persuadet eique filiam suam in matrimonium dat. Perfacile factu esse illis probat conata perficere, propterea quod ipse suae civitatis imperium 3
obtenturus esset: non esse dubium quin totius Galliae plurimum Helvetii possent; se suis copiis suoque exercitu illis regna conciliaturum confirmat. Hac oratione adducti inter se fidem et ius iurandum dant 5
et regno occupato per tres potentissimos ac firmissimos populos totius Galliae sese potiri posse sperant. Ea res est Helvetiis per indicium enuntiata. Moribus suis Orgetoricem ex vinculis causam 7
dicere coegerunt; damnatum poenam sequi oportebat, ut igni cremaretur.
(Excerpts from Caesars's De bello Gallico available online here: ch. 3 and
1. On which of the following does Dumnorigi depend
obtinebat (line 1)
acceptus erat (line 2)
conaretur (line 2)
persuadet (line 2)
2. What is the correct translation of qui . . . obtinebat
who for a time had held leadership in his state
who at that time was holding leadership in his state
who by that time was holding leadership in his state
who at that time was holding the prince in his state
3. Identify most precisely the construction ut . . .
conaretur (line 2).
4. What figure of speech occurs in Perfacile factu
5. Which other group had Caesar categorized
similarly to the Helvetians in totius . . . possent?
6. What is Orgetorix advocating according to se . . .
confirmat (lines 4-5)?
migration to Gaul
a mutual defense pact
the arming of the Helvetians at large
7. Identify the form conciliaturum in its context (line
present active participle
future active participle
future active infinitive
8. What figure of speech might fidem . . . iurandum
constitute (line 5)?
9. What is the time referrent of regno occupato in its
context (line 6)?
10. What plan had these allies hatched according to
per . . . sperant (lines 5-6)?
to defend themselves against Rome and its allies
for their peoples jointly to conquer Gaul
for each to seize control at home
to migrate together into Gaul
11. On which of the following does potiri depend (line
occupato (line 6)
sese (line 6)
posse (line 6)
sperant (line 7)
12. What do the words ex vinculis indicate (line 7)?
The Helvetians have captured Orgetorix.
The Helvetians have started their migration.
The Helvetians are on guard.
The Helvetians plan to rendezvous with their allies.
13. What is the correct translation of causam dicere
to state his misfortune
to plead his case
to lead the defense
to offer testimony
14. What is the correct translation of damnatum in its
context (line 8)?
intending to condemn
when he is condemned
him if condemned
while he is condemning
15. What figure of speech occurs in igni cremaretur